300g skinless, boneless salt cod
200ml KTC sunflower oil
4 spring onions, green ends only, finely sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper cored, deseeded and finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet chilli (deseed if you want less heat)
thumb sized root ginger, roughly chopped
2 tsp Sea Isle Dried Thyme
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp Sea Isle Mixed Spice
ground black pepper to taste
2 x 280g tins Sea Isle Ackee drained and rinsed to remove all salt
- Rinse the salt cod in warm water to dissolve the salt, then put in a pan and cover with warm water. Bring it to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until salt is dissolved.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole, add the vegetables, garlic, chilli, ginger and cover and cook gently for around 10 minutes. Add the ketchup, mixed spice and thyme and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and add the salt cod and cook for 5 minutes, then turn and cook the other side.
- Drain 6 tbsp of oil and juices from the vegetables. Remove the salt cod from the pan, break into chunks and add to the vegetables in the casserole.
- Season with black pepper and add the drained ackee. Cover, but leave a little gap with the lid in case you need to pour off any liquid, as it should not be runny. Leave to cook for about 5 minutes until the ackee is tender and then it’s ready to serve.