2kg goat meat, lamb or mutton, cut into 2-3cm chunks
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp Sea Isle Hot Curry Powder
3 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 bunch of coriander
15ml KTC vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, curry powder, tomatoes, garlic, onions and scotch bonnet chilli. Finely chop the coriander roots and add to the bowl.
- Add the meat and thoroughly rub the marinade into the meat with your hands. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight. Remove the meat from the marinade, brushing off any bits of onion and tomato. Reserve the marinade.
- In a large pan, melt 25g of butter on a medium heat. Add half the meat and cook for 5 minutes or until nicely browned then transfer to a casserole dish. Melt the remaining butter, cook the remaining meat and add to the pot. In the pan heat the oil on a medium heat and cook the reserved marinade for 7 minutes or until the onions are soft and add to the pot. Then add enough water to cover the meat and season with salt to taste.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat to low and cover then very gently simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- Serve garnished with a large handful of chopped coriander leaves and rice.